The Advantages of working abroad for the Irish Contractor
For many Irish contractors contracting abroad may seem a daunting prospect – moving to a new country, dealing with accommodation issues, potentially a new currency and of course language and cultural issues. However, there are a lot of potential positives to working abroad that should be taken into consideration particularly when contracting in the UK.
As our Senior International Accounting advisor, Mike Green advises about the UK – there are quite a few advantages accepting a contract in the UK vis a vis Ireland:
1) You qualify for medical cover under the NHS.
2) Getting a UK national insurance number is very similar to obtaining the PPS card in Ireland.
3) Both setting up a limited company & closing is cheaper in the UK than Ireland.
4) Dividend income up to £46,000 is 7.5% & after that 32.5% up to £150,000.
5) Unlike Ireland the first £12,000 is tax free plus another £2k in dividends compared to only €1,650 in Ireland.
6) Corporation tax may be slightly higher, but personal tax brackets are far more attractive.
7) Both jurisdictions from a common law perspective are very similar which makes it very easy for
Irish contractors to set-up in the UK.
8) You do not need to register for VAT unless you are invoicing over £83,000.
So, it is worth considering going down the route of going contracting in the UK for the reasons. You can also add in a stronger currency (when you convert back to Euro) and better rates for many roles (especially around London). In our next article we will explore contracting on the continent and the advantage and disadvantages of accepting a contract there.
Accounting Pro is Ireland’s premier contractor accounting service. We are here to help, the busy contractor and company, with all your accounting and payroll needs. We are both an umbrella company and umbrella corporation and we can create your limited company. We are experts in contractor pensions, contractor health insurance, illness and sick benefit for the self employed and contractor expenses. To learn more about what we do please review https://www.accounting-pro.ie/ and contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us 01 6933370. For the UK see Accounting-Pro UK. “The Advantages of working abroad for the Irish Contractor” is an article written by Accounting-Pro Ireland for the benefit of everyone. Feel free to share it but please give attribution on a CC BY-SA license.