Allowable expenses as PAYE in Ireland
A question we are asked many times by clients is about expenses, particularly which expenses can you claim. Expenses you can claim for are determined by Revenue guidelines so all companies should follow the same process. The golden rule when it comes to expenses is that you can only offset those expenses which have been incurred wholly, exclusively and necessarily in the performance of your duties. Below is an overview of the costs and expenses you could be eligible to claim as a PAYE employee.
- Business Costs v (Training costs, electronic equipment, parking). This Tax relief is given at source.
- Client Billable Expenses. Paid tax and social security free.
- Mileage (Cars, motorcycles, bicycles and vans). Detailed records must be kept. A claim form needs to be repaired and sent to Revenue. Tax relief is given at the Revenue’s discretion.
- Training Costs – The cost of any training courses or textbooks that you need may be claimed and reimbursed, provided they are related to your role. If this is a requirement for your current assignment, then it is highly likely the request will be accepted. Any non-work related qualifications aren’t eligible for reimbursement.
- Electronic Equipment – The cost of electrical equipment such as an iPad or laptop and software can be claimed and reimbursed, provided they are essential for your assignment. You will need to detail how each purchase supports your role
- Professional Fees and Subscriptions – If you are registered to any professional bodies, you may be eligible to reclaim you annual fees, but only if it is necessary or helpful for your work.
Feel free to give us a call if you have more questions
Accounting Pro is Ireland’s premier contractor accounting service. We are here to help, the busy contractor and company, with all your accounting and payroll needs. We are both an umbrella company and umbrella corporation and we can create your limited company. We are experts in contractor pensions, contractor health insurance, illness and sick benefit for the self employed and contractor expenses. To learn more about what we do please review https://www.accounting-pro.ie/ and contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us 01 6933370. For the UK see Accounting-Pro UK. “Allowable expenses as PAYE in Ireland” is an article written by Accounting-Pro Ireland for the benefit of everyone. Feel free to share it but please give attribution on a CC BY-SA license.